Friday 24 October 2014

Completed: Sewaholic Thurlow Shorts

I feel like I'm finally getting the hang of this blogging business! And now thanks to a tripod and a handy remote I can finally take photos of my finished garments without having to bully coerce family members into taking photos for me!!

Styled with a RTW white shirt

This isn't the first time I've made the Sewaholic Thurlow shorts but it is the first time I've ended up with something wearable! The first pair was destined for failure from the very beginning thanks to me choosing the completely wrong size (don't ask! I think I was having a fat day or something) and so as a result no matter how much altering and adjusting I did they just would not sit right... well I'm happy to report that (believe it or not) going down two sizes to a size 6 has produced a pair of shorts that fit perfectly with no adjustments WHATSOEVER!! Winning!!

Styled with my grey/black Grainline Scout Tee...

I used some medium weight cotton drill I purchased on sale from Spotlight. At first I was unsure as to if the patterned fabric would look OK as a pair of shorts considering they have so much going on already but then I figured that the pattern was random enough that I wouldn't need to worry about pattern matching and hey, it was on sale so worst case scenario they become my painting shorts or something. I'm glad I chose to use the fabric after all, the grey/brown/cream colours make it easy to pair things together and its something different than the other plain colours I have. Just looking at the photos now but I think the shorts will suit a slightly tighter tee as these shorts are very loose/flared around the leg and need a more fitted top to balance out the silhouette.


At first I was going to leave out the welt pockets as I wasn't sure if the combination of the print and welt seams would look to busy (totally not because I couldn't be bothered) but looking at it now I'm glad I chose to suck it up and do them. They give that RTW look plus its good practice for when I sew my Ralph Rucci coat welt pockets.

Spot the welt pockets... they blend in so well


Front - check out that pattern matching! Complete accident believe it or not!

Side view

 

The false cuff nicely topstitched
The guts, first time inserting the zip the 'proper' way and actually finishing off the buttons and buttonholes

 

 


A near perfect fit with no pulling or wrinkles around the crotch area
\
Same with the back, no lines or pulling even over the butt


 
 
 
I think these shorts are going to get a lot of wear over the next few months. I'm hoping to make another couple pairs in gunmetal grey, navy and maybe even a floral.

Pattern: Sewaholic Thurlow Trousers and Shorts
Fabric: Cotton Drill from Spotlight
Size 6 - no adjustments

No comments:

Post a Comment