Friday 9 May 2014

Beautiful Bellatrix Blazer

I figured it was high time I actually blogged this me-made seeing as I've been wearing it for almost two weeks now and I'm partway into making a second longer version!

From the moment I saw the three stunning blazers on Bella Megan's blog I knew I wanted needed this blazer in my wardrobe. After looking around on some other blogs I was quite amazed at how seemingly easy everyone said this jacket was to make! I mean, aren't jackets supposed to be notoriously difficult and fiddly? One of those garments in the scary realm of 'jeans' and 'buttonholes'?? Well let me tell you, if you can sew a lined dress you can sew a Bellatrix Blazer!! Katie from Papercut Patterns has not only designed a beautifully cut blazer, the accompanying instructions are so thorough and easily understood!!

I chose Version 2, the cropped version so it can be worn with dresses and high-waisted skirts. I love wearing these types of clothes as they accentuate my small waist but found in winter (and those days in summer when the air con feels like minus 10deg!) that when I wear cardigans they 'cut me off' right at my largest point (my hips, auughh!!) Those of you who have analysed silhouettes you will understand this, those of you who want to know more check out this post from the Colette Wardrobe Architect.

As most of my existing clothes are statement pieces in bright or patterned fabrics I wanted to make the blazer in a nice dark grey fabric. Off I went one cold Thursday night off to Cannington Spotlight to gather supplies. Well, do you think I could find suiting fabric of a medium weight in dark grey?? Nope!! Not in this store!! I ended up settling for some cotton drill (NOT proper jacket fabric and NOT EVEN a medium weight fabric either!!) consoling myself it was basically a wearable muslin anyway and most of the fabric pieces were interfaced. I used some blue/grey floral rayon I had in my stash for the lining.

The whole thing was actually a dream to sew!! Usually I get to a point in my sewing projects that involve a little more brain power/thought/attention (invisible zippers, I'm looking at you!) and have to either leave it for a day or force myself to stop procrastinating and finish it. With this project there was not a hint of that, everything went together smoothly, the instructions were amazing and all the notches lined up. Before I knew it I had set in the welt pockets and it was time to set in the sleeves... they were the easiest sleeves I have EVER set! A sign of a well drafted pattern.

The Finished Product:

Ok, now we get to the best part... checking out the finished garment photos. Please ignore the creased jacket photos and take it as a sign the jacket is well loved worn to death:
Welt Pocket - A work of art (in my opinion!)

Sneak peak of the pocket lining fabric

First ever finished jacket!!

And the first of many more, I'm sure :)



1 comment:

  1. Love seeing this pattern sewn up. Chic!
    SSB https://facebook.com/sassysewingbees

    ReplyDelete